RPcentral Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPcentral Forum

The site for Role-Play crazy people! Welcome!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Thunderstorms

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:52 pm

We all have them, so I minaswell make a guide about them! Were having them like, every 2nd day, and I get really amused! I'm all way counting the miles of the lighting, and watching when my moms sleeping. But really, Have a whole journal full of it! Yup. You all know already, I'm in love with storms. Hehe.. ^^
So anyway, lets get to the guide!
---
Thunderstorms Bn_thnd
Wile thunder won't hurt you - lightning will! So it's important to pay attention when you hear thunder. Thunderstorms happen in every state and every thunderstorm has lightning. Lightning can strike people and buildings and is very dangerous.

Thunderstorms affect small areas when compared with hurricanes and winter storms. The typical thunderstorm is 15 miles in diameter and lasts an average of 30 minutes. Nearly 1,800 thunderstorms are happening at any moment around the world.

Despite their small size, all thunderstorms are dangerous. Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which kills more people each year than tornadoes. Heavy rain from thunderstorms can lead to flash flooding. Strong winds, hail, and tornadoes are also dangers associated with some thunderstorms. You can estimate how many miles away a storm is by counting the number of seconds between the flash of lightning and the clap of thunder. Divide the number of seconds by five to get the distance in miles. The lightning is seen before the thunder is heard because light travels faster than sound. (Of course, get safe shelter first, before you take the time to count the seconds!)

Thunderstorms need three things:

Moisture - to form clouds and rain.
Unstable Air - relatively warm air that can rise rapidly.
Lift - fronts, sea breezes and mountains are capable of lifting air to help form thunderstorms.

Thunderstorms are most likely to occur in the spring and summer months and during the afternoon and evening hours but they can occur year-round and at all hours of the day or night. Along the Gulf Coast and across the southeastern and western states, most thunderstorms occur during the afternoon. Thunderstorms often occur in the late afternoon and at night in the Plains states. Thunder and lightning can sometimes even come with snowstorm! During the blizzard of March 1993, lightning resulted in power outages near Washington, D.C.

Thunderstorms and Lightning

All thunderstorms are dangerous. Every thunderstorm produces lightning. In the United States, an average of 300 people are injured and 80 people are killed each year by lightning. Although most lightning victims survive, people struck by lightning often report a variety of long-term, debilitating symptoms. Other associated dangers of thunderstorms include tornadoes, strong winds, hail, and flash flooding. Flash flooding is responsible for more fatalities—more than 140 annually—than any other thunderstorm-associated hazard.

Dry thunderstorms that do not produce rain that reaches the ground are most prevalent in the western United States. Falling raindrops evaporate, but lightning can still reach the ground and can start wildfires.

Facts About Thunderstorms
-They may occur singly, in clusters, or in lines.

-Some of the most severe occur when a single thunderstorm affects one location for an extended time.

-Thunderstorms typically produce heavy rain for a brief period, anywhere from 3 0 minutes to an hour.

-Warm, humid conditions are highly favorable for thunderstorm development.

-About 10 percent of thunderstorms are classified as severe—one that produces hail at least three-quarters of an inch in diameter, has winds of 58 miles per hour or higher, or produces a tornado.

Facts About Lightning
Thunderstorms TexasThunderstorm_10042004_01

-Lightning’s unpredictability increases the risk to individuals and property.

-Lightning often strikes outside of heavy rain and may occur as far as 10 miles away from any rainfall.

-"Heat lightning" is actually lightning from a thunderstorm too far away for thunder to be heard. However, the storm may be moving in your direction!
Thunderstorms 153

-Most lightning deaths and injuries occur when people are caught outdoors in the summer months during the afternoon and evening.

-Your chances of being struck by lightning are estimated to be 1 in 600,000, but could be reduced even further by following safety precautions.

-Lightning strike victims carry no electrical charge and should be attended to immediately.
---

I'm sorry there isn't much pictures, as I know some of you love picture, *Glances at Sparkle*, but I didn't have much time! Ill probably add more pictures later! Anyways, feel free to comment, as any question about any weather situation to me, and Ill be sure to tell you my best answer! Thanks again everyone!

♥ puppy

Back to top Go down
Blank's Toucan
One Special Member!
Blank's Toucan

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 8:58 am

Wow..my weather's identical to yours, and I'm in florida. We've had thunder storms every night for the past two weeks.... :affraid:
Back to top Go down
Peachfrost
Original
Peachfrost

Location : Dear Gravity, you've held me down in this starless city.

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 am

Remember my journal entry? well, before that big night happened, we had had 7 storms move in from who knows where! But now, strangly, we hav'nt had a drop of rain since that thursday...Yet everything is still flooded! But Michigan is like that...the weather is so versitile here!
Back to top Go down
Blank's Toucan
One Special Member!
Blank's Toucan

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 10:57 am

Wow...
Back to top Go down
( labbie! )
The Admins
( labbie! )

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 11:46 am

*Glances back at Puppy* SO! I can like pictures if I want...*humphs* ^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.lolwhiteandnerdyxoxo.tumblr.com
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 2:00 pm

Oh wow!

I is sorry.. *Huggles Sparkle*
Back to top Go down
Blank's Toucan
One Special Member!
Blank's Toucan

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 2:57 pm

*hugs Puppy and runs to wolf packs*
Back to top Go down
( labbie! )
The Admins
( labbie! )

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 5:40 pm

*Hugs* Btw, this thing kept me from a heart attack. I kept seeing thunder, that you couldn't even count to 1 for! But then I remembered; "You have a 1 in 600,000 chance you'll get striked." I felt better after that. ;)
Back to top Go down
http://www.lolwhiteandnerdyxoxo.tumblr.com
Ochre Pumpkin Pie
Trustworthy Member
Trustworthy Member
Ochre Pumpkin Pie

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 5:55 pm

It's ironic, right as I checked this thread out, as soon as I started reading, it started to storm! One night there wasn't any rain at all, but when I looked out of my window, there was a huge clump of grey clouds right above, and lightning was flashing inside! It was kinda freaky.
Back to top Go down
http://monstersizedrps.forummotion.com/forum.htm
Peachfrost
Original
Peachfrost

Location : Dear Gravity, you've held me down in this starless city.

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 6:11 pm

Blarg! scary...Thanks anyway, puppy!0_<
Back to top Go down
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 6:52 pm

That's actually funny, Socky! ^^

I know! I didn't even saw 1m then there was this big flash of lightning!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thunderstorms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderstorms   Thunderstorms I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thunderstorms
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RPcentral Forum :: RPcentral Community :: Off Topic-
Jump to: