RPcentral Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPcentral Forum

The site for Role-Play crazy people! Welcome!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Reign of Stars

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lan Fan
Trustworthy Member
Trustworthy Member
Lan Fan

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 7:17 pm

NOTE: This story has been slightly edited from the original plan, to make it less gorey and more appropriate for those under 10.

Sorry the first chapter is so short, but it'll get even better ;)

ANNOUNCEMENT: From now on, I will try to steady my work, at least for the next week. I'll update each story, or at least try to, every other day; for example, Out of the Darkness tomorrow, this Wednesday, this Friday, and so on, and this story on this Tuesday, this Thursday, this Saturday, and so on.

Chapter 1

The ringing sounds seem like they could break the moon. I had no idea there were other wolves this close.

"We have to go, Moonheart."

I nudge his flank, pushing him towards his side of the border, claw-marks faded in the moonlight. But he hesitates. His ears flick away from the howling, my own especially pointed ears following his.

My long, black fur blows ominously in the zephyr of a breeze. It carries the sound toward us; luckily, we are downwind.

My heart races faster than ever before. But I only get to glimpse his shining, quick-silver fur for a heartbeat more. Our eyes meet for a short moment, and then a huge wolf leaps out of nowhere, slashes, and is gone. There is hardly even a trace. Moonheart stands for another moment, and then tips over and lands with a thud on his side.

The fear suddenly stabs through me like a well-aimed humans' crossbow bolt. It's like I've been struck by lightning out of nowhere.

The silence of the night is shattered like my heart at that very moment.

He is dead.

I can see fierce claw wounds on his head and neck. I can't see well, but by the smell of it, he is severely injured.

Now, many more wolves slowly creep out of the shadowy bracken. The only one I can recognize by my limited night vision is the leader, Twostones, namd after his oddly colored eyes, one orange and one dark brown.

"Starclaw, our ancestors are not happy with you. I know his voice is usually serious, but this is worse than the normal austere tone. I notice his long claws glint, as if hungering for my blood. Is killing one of the traitors not enough?

Another wolf emerges opposite him, on my left side. Panic rises in me. I don't know how I know, but this is the wolf who killed Moonheart. But his scent is different than Twostones's; he is part of Moonheart's pack.

The feeling of perfidy within me is more noticeable than ever. It even overrides the despair. It's tearing me apart.

Even my own voice is strange to me, morphed by confusion and rage. "I am no longer Starclaw; it worsens the feelings of this incident. From now on, I am Blacknight."

The wolf of the other pack speaks up. "The Watching Pack, those in the stars, will still remember this. All your descendants, any pups you bear, will be burdened and cursed." His voice is a low, threatening growl.

"Whisperstep, silence." Twostones is calm, oddly. "I dismiss you, now that I've thanked you."

The big, gray wolf gives Twostones a look that seems to say, "You're not my leader." But he stays silent. And suddenly, he slinks off into the dark bushes once more.

"As for you, Starclaw." I can't help flicking my nose toward my leader. "You are hereby exiled from the Lake Pack."

No guilt rises within me as it should have. It is held down by the grudge I bear towards Whisperstep, for killing the only other wolf who had ever understood my insatiable curiosity, the only other wolf with whom I shared a bond after my parents had died on the journey to this place.

He continues prophetically, his brown fur invisible in the nearly moonless night. "You knew pefectly well the rules of the Watching Pack. You will come to regret it."

With no emotion but hate, I lunge through the crowd of my pack on the border of my territory and the Thicktree pack, swiping aside a large queen. Running along the border, it seems as if I am heading into nothing but me, endlessly.

What is the meaning of family?

Last edited by Dawnfrost (Glue) on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
kieran c:
They're over 9000!
kieran c:

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Oh. My. GOODNESS. That is soo amazing, I love the emotion in it, its like your in the story, right there! More soon, I hope!
Back to top Go down
Lan Fan
Trustworthy Member
Trustworthy Member
Lan Fan

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 pm

I wrote two chapters more (if you don't see the second one, I'm still copying it onto here). What do you think?

Chapter 2

But freezing feels so good. Like there is no point to anything. I am reluctant to stand.

My pelt is grizzed with the claw-tips of the spring morning dew. I am surprised I haven't been found, sleeping out in the open like this.

But I am far away from any territory that I know. Even far north of the Rocks Pack, and that is very distant.

For a moment, I think I scent my father, Tooi, but I know it is an illusion. However, there is also rabbit. Somehow, though, I am not hungry. I don't even seem thinner. But then again, it was only two nights. Still, that should have at least made at least a little difference.

I slowly decide to hunt. The cold has seeped into my fur, making my movements more stiff than the Lake Pack's graceful gait. My skin feels the bite of early spring. But the day will warm up.

Again, the sweet but... windy... scent of rabbit prey surrounds my nose. I don't know how wind can have asmell, but it's the only way I can describe it. It's cool, but makes you kind of jumpy, as if you are one with the wind.

At once, the pain of hunger claws my belly; I must be off. Following the aroma, I listen and watch for any sign of bird or hare.

I am so startled I almost jump back when there is something soft under my paw. Lifting my black paw gingerly, I see something of a light, tawny color. It's the feather of a duck. Is there water nearby?

My nose is immediately distracted by a strong smell of bird. I hear a raspy sound, like a quack. A duck is close.

I notice a moving shape about to take off. I must be quick. My claws reach forward as I pounce out of excitement, my amber eyes wide. The mallard takes off, but my right paw catches its wing and drags it down. I carry the green-headed duck by the neck, and pad towards a clump of bushes in which I can eat. Plucking off the feathers, I devour my prey quickly, to give the illusion that it was more than it really is. After picking most of the meat off the carcass, I bury most of the bones and gaze to the north wistfully.

The mountain peaks seem to call me like a white eagle. I can hardly feel myself breathe just thinking about it. Unknowingly, as if in a trance, I stand up and begin running once again.

I'm snapped out of it by something cold sucking at my paws. It's freezing water, with the low sun reflecting off of it like golden ice. The feeling numbs my pads, and I immediately step out. Whoever heard of a Lake Pack wolf reluctant to enter water?

...No. Former Lake Pack. I can hardly even think of that.

My alliance with them has been completely destroyed.

But I do retain one thing: my faith in the Watching Pack.

It reminds me of something I had thought of earlier. What is the meaning of family?

All my life, I had not been close to about any wolf. Nor had I meant to be closer to Moonheart than any other wolf in my life. I remember one day when I was still an apprentice...

Wavestorm padded along a tail-length ahead of me, looking back at me with soft, brown eyes. "You know the code of the Watching Pack?"

I nodded slightly, but a doubtful expression still pervaded my face.

"Remember, the most important rule. Stay loyal to your pack; you must not be excessively close or mate with a wolf outside of your pack."

And now that rule has been defied by the most promising warrior of the Lake Pack. But still, I don't seem to care. My countenance and heart remain stolid.

Trotting around the lake, by mind still dwells on it. And with the words comes the memory of Moonheart's dead body, eyes glazed over but still showing despair and care for me.

An arrow of pain strikes my heart and stomach. Angrily, I howl a loud challenge to the Watching Pack.

"No matter what you do to me, what obstacles you put in my way, I will overcome it! You could kill me, but not my spirit!"
Back to top Go down
kieran c:
They're over 9000!
kieran c:

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 8:51 pm

Woah! That is so amazing, there is so much description, so much emotion.. ITS FANTABULOUS!
Back to top Go down
Lan Fan
Trustworthy Member
Trustworthy Member
Lan Fan

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanks. I'm very keen when it comes to emotion. I've written the third chapter but am a bit distracted so I can't get it up immediately. Not to mention I have three or four drawing requests from a week ago XC sorry.
Back to top Go down
Lan Fan
Trustworthy Member
Trustworthy Member
Lan Fan

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:41 pm

Chapter 3

They are adorable.

Three little puffballs. Three tiny clumps of fur.

But this isn't all good.

Still, the sadness is the one losing this time. It's overcome by doubt, contrary to what I would have thought. They are my pups; I should be happy. But the Watching Pack seems like they don't approve.

In the darkness of the cave, I can't see them exactly as they lay next to me. But I know two are black.

And one is stunningly silver.

I almost have to close my eyes.

I nose each of my pups respectively. "Shadowclaw, Spiritwind and..."

I hesitate, trying to think of something suitable.

"Starheart."

I sigh to myself; I had combined his father's name and mine to make this little one's. Or, at least my previous name. No matter what, my name is now Blacknight.

I'm tired out, and the darkness of the cave causes my golden eyes to close.

----

"Blacknight."

The tone tells me I'm dreaming. "Moonheart?"

A silver shine meets my eyes.

"How many?" he asks.

"How did you know?" My tone is puzzled.

"You are a lot slimmer," the lean wolf chuckled, brushing me with his tail just behind my shoulder.

I grinned along with him, finally answering his question. "Three. Shadowclaw, Spiritwind and... Starheart."

"Can I see?"

I just realize we are suspended in midair.

Nodding, I lead him down with light, flying steps to the entrance of the cave. I'm not feeling any ground below my paws, but my steps are solid.

Finally, I touch grass, and then the narrow passage of the den. In my dream, the pups are fast asleep, their sides rising and falling simultaneously.

All that I can see on Moonheart's visage is a wide smile.

"You shouldn't be happy," I murmur, giving him a glance.

"Why not?" He twirls toward me.

"These pups are not of a certain pack. They are of two, Lake and Thicktree." I reluctantly look away. "The Watching Pack forbids it."

It seems as if he's about to cry. All the times I had sneaked to the border to see Monoheart, I had never seen him cry. It made my heart sink. But in death, his own heart is weak.

"You need to wake up now," Moonheart says, and I feel his shoulder gently pushing against mine.

Quickly, the scene at the night of his death comes back to me. Absentmindedly, I nod. "Okay."

He rests his muzzle on my head, and I promptly find myself in the den, with the morning's light soaring in.

My tiny pups are still next to me, their bellies full.

Something occurs to me. How will I support us all? Usually, the father would bring prey. But that's impossible for me.

Luckily, there is a curious robin poking around the outside of the den. I have to be careful it doesn't see me. But I manage to take the fat, lazy thing in my mouth like a pup, and it doesn't even notice. Still alive, it attempts to escape, but it's no use.

I lay down next to my pups again with a sigh, slowly nibbling on the robin. My sadness still weighs me down. Everytime I remember that Moonheart isn't with me, my sadness weighs me down more and more, and pain shoots through me like a darting bird. Lowering my head, I breathe deeply and try to calm myself. I just hope it won't be all bad. Is this what happens when one has pups against the Watching Pack's rule?

Squeezing my eyes shut, I roll the names over in my head. Shadowclaw, Spiritwind, Starheart. They all start with S. But that doesn't matter, does it? S is the first letter of a lot of words... sadness, still, stars...

I still can't help doubting myself.

Will I ever get to live normally, in a pack, again?

As a howl echoes outside, I shiver. I hope they're not close to me. But I still hear pawsteps outside.

Frightened to the bone, I freeze.
Back to top Go down
kieran c:
They're over 9000!
kieran c:

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Aww.. Pups! Kewl! more soon!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lan Fan
Trustworthy Member
Trustworthy Member
Lan Fan

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 am

Chapter 4

There was nothing...

-----

The pain grows the more I think about two things.

First, why did Moonheart have to die? Neither of us did anything on purpose! And we were blamed for it! So what if we were close? That is half of the pain: rage.

Second, the Watching Pack seems to be strict, as if they don't approve of these split-pack pups. None of them looked like they would live. They were all still a lot of the time. This was the larger half of the stabbing pain: regret.

My throat was tight, as if I could cry or give a sad howl, but nothing came out. It would definitely be hard to survive if there was no male to hunt for me. I mostly had to survive on birds and the occasional rabbit.

I had just hunted, so I wasn't particularly hungry. But I was still almost constantly tired out, my muscles feeling like they wouldn't move again. The only thing that kept me alive was the shine of Starheart's silver fur; it seemed to contain a small amount of inspiring hope for my saddened heart.

They were now almost old enough to learn to hunt with me. Their eyes were open and they were moving around more often. Both Spiritwind and Starheart were promising, but Blackclaw, I wasn't so sure of.

She was always dwelling in the cave, away from her siblings, as if she were afraid. I had tried tenaciously to get her to join, but she always just cowered. Was it that first play-fight she had lost miserably in? How could she let something like that put her down?

It came slowly, but finally came the day they would learn to hunt. They were all ready and on their paws, but of course, Blackclaw needed some encouragement. I couldn't help but let my worry weigh down my heart a little.

We were moving slowly down the mountain where our den, the one they were born in, had previously been. We were going down the opposite sicde of the mountain from my previous pack; they were too young to know their heritage.

Currently, we were in the trees, searching for deer. I didn't see any tawny fur until I almost ran into a tree and noticed it just a few body-lengths beyond the trunk.

She appeared to be a female, too young to know to run away from wolves. I couldn't see the mother; she must have been away, perhaps.

Determination building, I signaled to the pups with my ears to lie low and watch. I lowered myself so that my belly was close to the ground. Normally, a male wouldhunt with his mate, but Iwas being, unfairly, forced to do it alone...

As I drew closer, I attempted to stay out of the fawn's sight.

Then, so fast I could surprise myself, I pounced with my claws ready to tear, giving a savage growl. I was going too quickly to see, but I felt my claws hook its shoulders. For a moment, I was riding on its back, and then it fell to its knees.

I was utterly dumbfounded by what happened next. My amber eyes stayed wide for long after.

Spiritwind, Starheart, and then Blackclaw darted out from the bracken, one after another, so speedy that they were only streaks of black, silver and smoky gray respectively. I thought they were going to attack the deer, but they merely sat in front of its face, tails wagging to the right.

Groaning slightly, I finished the deer off with a bite to the neck. But I couldn't stay angry at them. Long after the deer was dead, I gave out barking laughter. It was a few moments before I could start the meal.

But it made me worry; would they ever learn properly?
Back to top Go down
kieran c:
They're over 9000!
kieran c:

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 am

Ohh.. I like this chapter, so many worries, eh? Cute pups.. =D
Back to top Go down
Lan Fan
Trustworthy Member
Trustworthy Member
Lan Fan

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Chapter 5

I can hear someone approaching, but it's only in my head. I'm reluctantly remembering the night of Moonheart's death.

"Tell us," my pups had eagerly begged. "I had fallen under the pressure and tried to "tell them."

"You were unlike any other pups," I solemnly begin. "But not in a good way."

Shadowclaw and Starheart gasp, but Spiritwind stays silent; however, I can see the icy surprise in her hazel eyes.

"How were we different, mother?" Shadowclaw's voice was serious, but her eyes pleaded like little yelping sounds would.

I swallow, hesitating for a moment. My heart feels like the despair and haunting memory have stopped it.

"You father... was not... of the Lake Pack."

"So?" Shadowclaw incredulously growls.

"The Watching Pack's rules forbid it," I answer, shaking my head with a somber expression. My pups' ears all droop with the sorrow, as if they had been there. Starheart closes his eyes and seems to gaze into the distance through his eyelids. That, combined with his brilliant and shining argent fur makes him look all the more mystical, like Moonheart's spirit. My own heart is lifted at this sight, and at the exact same moment, his eyes slowly open.

"But it was neither my fault nor Moonheart's. Almost no one understands that emotions sometimes cannot be controlled."

"What do you mean?" Shadowclaw questions, bewildered. Her dark amber eyes seem to be despondent.

"Love not only can't be controlled," I say mysteriously, "But it also cannot be explained." My tone is as if I am teaching the three an important lesson to them, a fact of life. "The only way to understand it is to find out for yourself."

After that, all three of them remain silent.

Throwing my head to the right, I glance at the mountains' horizon. The sun is beginning to set. I give my pups a hunting signal by pointing my ears forward, then back. With that, I am out of the den.

Immediately, an animal's scent reaches my sensitive canine nose. But to my surprise, it is not rabbit, bird, mouse, or any other prey. It is the scent of... one, two, three -- no, two wolves. New, strange wolves. Rogue wolves.

Enemy wolves!

I try to stay low, but my black pelt stands out in the bright green grass, and one of the wolves, a russet brown female, pads closer to me, her yellow eyes piercing.

I stand up straight, ears and tail up, with a fearsome warning growl in my throat. She doesn't seem submissive. Then, the other wolf, a mighty gray male, bolts out of his hiding place and screeches to a stop at his mate's side.

I guard the den cautiously, but none of us make a move. Finally, the female takes a step back.

"We thought this was an enemy, but we were mistaken. We will back off for now."

The two wolves take one last glance at me, then dash off like rivers.

With one last growl, my heart pounding with anger, I pace in front of the den entrance to make sure they are gone. I don't see anything, and the rage fades, as if my emotion is a pool and it has just become still.

With that interruption, I have forgotten the hunt. Still alert, I lightly step into my den and sleep with my pups close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Reign of Stars Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reign of Stars   The Reign of Stars I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Reign of Stars
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RPcentral Forum :: RPC Artist's Corner :: RPC Library-
Jump to: