RPcentral Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPcentral Forum

The site for Role-Play crazy people! Welcome!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms

Go down 
+3
Hot summer nights
Starlight Kitsune
Ginger.
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Empty
PostSubject: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 6:24 pm

This is not exactly a guide, So I did not think it would go the guide section, so I put it here.. I hope it the right spot! Well actually, it is a guide! But then again its not about graphics or RPing or Warriors, its about tornadoes, so ya! ^^

Here is my chance to blurt this out-- I am a tornado freak! Yay! But really. tornadoes are one of my favorite things to study, look at pictures, read, watch movies about them, ext. Some people think there just scary big storms, but really, there are very interesting! But of course people would be scared of them. I mean, they could injure, or kill a person, ripe a house or tree out of the ground, but still, I love them! So I put a little sort of guide about tornadoes for you all, even if you hate Tornadoes, or just don't have any interested in them, here's a little guide thing anyway about them!
---

Tornado!
Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic1
Although tornadoes occur in many parts of the world, these destructive forces of nature are found most frequently in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains during the spring and summer months. In an average year, 800 tornadoes are reported nationwide, resulting in 80 deaths and over 1,500 injuries. A tornado is defined as a violently rotating column of air extending from a thunderstorm to the ground. The most violent tornadoes are capable of tremendous destruction with wind speeds of 250 mph or more. Damage paths can be in excess of one mile wide and 50 miles long. Once a tornado in Broken Bow, Oklahoma, carried a motel sign 30 miles and dropped it in Arkansas!

What causes tornadoes?
Thunderstorms develop in warm, moist air in advance of eastward-moving cold fronts. These thunderstorms often produce large hail, strong winds, and tornadoes. Tornadoes in the winter and early spring are often associated with strong, frontal systems that form in the Central States and move east. Occasionally, large outbreaks of tornadoes occur with this type of weather pattern. Several states may be affected by numerous severe thunderstorms and tornadoes.

During the spring in the Central Plains, thunderstorms frequently develop along a "dryline," which separates very warm, moist air to the east from hot, dry air to the west. Tornado-producing thunderstorms may form as the dryline moves east during the afternoon hours.

Along the front range of the Rocky Mountains, in the Texas panhandle, and in the southern High Plains, thunderstorms frequently form as air near the ground flows "upslope" toward higher terrain. If other favorable conditions exist, these thunderstorms can produce tornadoes.

Tornadoes occasionally accompany tropical storms and hurricanes that move over land. Tornadoes are most common to the right and ahead of the path of the storm center as it comes onshore.

Tornado Variations
Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic2
-Some tornadoes may form during the early stages of rapidly developing thunderstorms. This type of tornado is most common along the front range of the Rocky Mountains, the Plains, and the Western States.
-Tornadoes may appear nearly transparent until dust and debris are picked up.
Occasionally, two or more tornadoes may occur at the same time.

Waterspout
Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic3
-Waterspouts are weak tornadoes that form over warm water.
-Waterspouts are most common along the Gulf Coast and southeastern states. In the western United States, they occur with cold late fall or late winter storms, during a time when you least expect tornado development.
-Waterspouts occasionally move inland becoming tornadoes causing damage and injuries.

How Do Tornadoes Form?
Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic4
Before thunderstorms develop, a change in wind direction and an increase in wind speed with increasing height creates an invisible, horizontal spinning effect in the lower atmosphere.

Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic5
Rising air within the thunderstorm updraft tilts the rotating air from horizontal to vertical.

Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic6
An area of rotation, 2-6 miles wide, now extends through much of the storm. Most strong and violent tornadoes form within this area of strong rotation.

Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic7
A lower cloud base in the center of the photograph identifies an area of rotation known as a rotating wall cloud. This area is often nearly rain-free. Note rain in the background.

Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic8
Moments later a strong tornado develops in this area. Softball-size hail and damaging "straight-line" winds also occurred with this storm.

Tornadoes Take Many Shapes and Sizes
Weak Tornadoes
Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic9a
-69% of all tornadoes
-Less than 5% of tornado deaths
-Lifetime 1-10+ minutes
-Winds less than 110 mph

Strong Tornadoes
Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic9b
-29% of all tornadoes
-Nearly 30% of all tornado deaths
May last 20 minutes or longer
Winds 110-205 mph

Violent Tornadoes
Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms Pic9c
-Only 2% of all tornadoes
-70% of all tornado deaths
-Lifetime can exceed 1 hour

Tornado Myths:
MYTH: Areas near rivers, lakes, and mountains are safe from tornadoes.
FACT: No place is safe from tornadoes. In the late 1980's, a tornado swept through Yellowstone National Park leaving a path of destruction up and down a 10,000 ft. mountain.

MYTH: The low pressure with a tornado causes buildings to "explode" as the tornado passes overhead.
FACT: Violent winds and debris slamming into buildings cause most structural damage.

MYTH: Windows should be opened before a tornado approaches to equalize pressure and minimize damage.
FACT: Opening windows allows damaging winds to enter the structure. Leave the windows alone; instead, immediately go to a safe place.

Thank-you for viewing, and reading! If you have any questions about tornadoes, or would like me to make any other guide about any other storm, feel free to ask me! Thanks again!

The one & Only, -puppy-
Back to top Go down
Starlight Kitsune
RP Addicted
RP Addicted
Starlight Kitsune

Location : Catching up on what I've missed in the past, like, two months. Again. So... much... CHANGE!

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Wow! That was extremely interesting! ^_^
We just had a tornado warning yesterday here in MI. Only damage I heard about was to a gas station...
Note to self: bookmark page if I ever have to write a report on tornadoes... useful info...
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/cattails190/index.htm
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 8:21 pm

Thank you! I'm glade this was useful.
We had a tornado watch yesterday! It was kinda creepy. ^^
Back to top Go down
Hot summer nights
Role-Play Master
Role-Play Master
Hot summer nights

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 am

wow, thats GREAT!! i can use this for school if ever needed. THanks!!
Back to top Go down
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:53 am

You are so welcome! Again, I'm so glade that this is helpful!
Back to top Go down
( labbie! )
The Admins
( labbie! )

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 am

Whoa...I don't wanna see that Violent Tornado Picture ever again... :pale:

But anyways, great job! Did you copy and paste it? Because it would've been hard for you to type all those states in the US. I read the whole thing, but the most interesting picture was the Waterspout, and the most interesting fact was *Scrolls Back up* was that the *Scrolls back up since forgot* was how the air actually forms, and gets swooped up and forms a tornado! Great job, Mod!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lolwhiteandnerdyxoxo.tumblr.com
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 5:45 pm

I know! Scary.

Heh, Yeah, I pasted most of it, from a very good site. It was fun to put the colors, adding the pics, ext, though! ^^
Back to top Go down
Peachfrost
Original
Peachfrost

Location : Dear Gravity, you've held me down in this starless city.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 5:51 pm

That was so handy! And Michigan keeps having storms, some very violent. I hope we don't have a Tornadoe anywhere over here! Though there has been many warnings...Gah!Again, Nifty!
Back to top Go down
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks!

You chnaged your username.. Why?
Back to top Go down
Peachfrost
Original
Peachfrost

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:04 pm

I did'nt...When Sparkle went to give me a mod plate/lable like yours, which she originally forgot, she decided to pull a little prank on me. I'm waiting for her to change it back now...lol

Also, did you see her new site, Warriors of Nature?Check it out, it's awsome, and I would like it if you joined...not many people are on...^^
Back to top Go down
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Ohhh Lol! You know.. You could allways go to your profile and change it..

Yes I did see it! It very pretty.. I might join when i have more time! :)
Back to top Go down
Peachfrost
Original
Peachfrost

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Oh I did'nt see that..that darn Sparkle! thanks!
Back to top Go down
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Your welcome! :rotfl:
Back to top Go down
Hot summer nights
Role-Play Master
Role-Play Master
Hot summer nights

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 pm

Alleycat, you are back to yuorself
Back to top Go down
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Yeah.. No more Im hacking you! :P
Back to top Go down
Ω ViolentSong Ω
One Special Member!
Ω ViolentSong Ω

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Been there done that at my house! I hate Tornadoes!
Back to top Go down
Ginger.
Original
Ginger.

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Really? Wowzy.
Back to top Go down
Jєt
One Special Member!
Jєt

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Ooooooooooh. It' so weird, where I live we call it a 'storm bubble.' I have never been in a tornado before, one was close, but of course, it died.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms   Tornadoes.. Nature's Most Violent Storms I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RPcentral Forum :: RPcentral Community :: Off Topic-
Jump to: